Introduction to Diamonds
Start your journey to becoming a diamond expert in this free online course.
Introduction to diamonds
- What are Colourless Diamonds and Fancy Diamonds?
- Famous Diamonds
- Explore the World’s Most Expensive Diamonds
- Why is Diamonds so Hard?
- How to Cut a Diamond
Diamonds: origins & formation
- Diamonds in Different Cultures
- How do Diamonds Form in Nature?
- How are Diamonds Found?
- Can you Tell how Old a Diamond is?
- When Were Diamonds First Discovered?
- In Which Countries are Diamonds Found Today?
- Expedition to Sierra Leone: What About Blood Diamonds Today?
Grading, synthetics, treatments and imitations
- How to Know if it’s a Real Diamond
- How to Grade the Colour of a Diamond
- What is the Best Cut for a Diamond?
- What is the Best Colour for a Diamond?
- How Does Clarity Affect the Value of a Diamond?
- How to Know if it’s a Laboratory-Grown Diamond
- Are Diamonds Treated?
Small diamonds & the science of diamond testing
- What are Melee Diamonds?
- What is The Smallest Diamond Size?
- How to Tell if it’s a Diamond or Something Else
- How to Tell if it’s a Natural Diamond or Not
- How to Tell if a Diamond is Treated or Not
- What Machines are Used to Test Diamonds?
I really enjoyed the depth of information that was provided in this course. Being a newbie to diamonds and gems, this free course gave me a good overview. I’ve decided I’ll be continuing in gemmology, there is so much still to learn. Thanks for making the course free!
About the courses
- Self-paced courses: access the information you want, when you want it.
- Test your knowledge about these different gems with a quiz at the end of each course. Please note these are short introductory courses, they are not trade qualifications nor do they give you the possibility of adding letters/credentials after your name.
About your instructor
SSEF (Swiss Gemmological Institute SSEF) is a non-profit Swiss foundation whose aim it is to further the science of gemstone testing and gemmological training. We are one of the leading gem labs in the world and have scientifically tested many of the world’s most prestigious gemstones.
To get that information & other services — click here to visit our website
Frequently asked questions
Who are these courses for?
- Access trustworthy information from one of the world’s leading authorities on diamonds.
- Curious about diamonds and gemstones who wants to start learning more with free courses
- People in the diamond, gem or jewellery trade that want to gain expert insights on topics such as synthetic diamonds, treatments in emeralds, ruby origins, colour terms in sapphires or the rarity of natural pearls
When does the course start and finish?
The course starts now and never ends! It is a completely self-paced online course – you decide when you and when you finish.
How long do I have access to the course?
How does lifetime access sound? After enrolling, you have unlimited access to this course for as long as you like – across any and all devices you own.
What this course is NOT:
- Learning how to buy a diamond
- Learning how to sell a diamond
- Learning how to certify a diamond
- How to tell if a diamond is real
- Lab grown diamonds