Introduction to tourmalines
Start your journey to becoming a tourmaline expert in this free online course.
Introduction to tourmalines
- What are Tourmalines?
- Famous Tourmalines
- Explore the World’s Most Expensive Tourmalines
- How Hard is a Tourmaline?
- How to Cut a Tourmaline?
Tourmalines: origins & formation
- Tourmalines in Different Cultures
- How do Tourmalines Form in Nature?
- How are Tourmalines Found?
- What is a Paraiba tourmaline?
- Can you Tell how Old a Tourmaline is?
- When Were Tourmalines First Discovered?
- In Which Countries are Tourmalines Found Today?
The science of tourmaline testing
- How to Tell if it’s a Tourmaline or Glass
- How to Tell if a Tourmaline is Treated or Not
- How to Determine the Geographic Origin of a Tourmaline
- How to Tell if is a Paraiba Tourmaline or Not
- Traceability of Tourmalines
- What Instruments are Used to Test Tourmalines?
About the courses
- Self-paced course: access the information you want, when you want it.
- Test your knowledge about tourmalines with a quiz at the end of this course. Please note these are short introductory courses, they are not trade qualifications nor do they give you the possibility of adding letters/credentials after your name.
About your instructor
SSEF (Swiss Gemmological Institute SSEF) is a non-profit Swiss foundation whose aim it is to further the science of gemstone testing and gemmological training. We are one of the leading gem labs in the world and have scientifically tested many of the world’s most prestigious gemstones.
For more information about tourmaline testing services — click here to visit our website.
Frequently asked questions
Who is this courses for?
- Access trustworthy information from one of the world’s leading authorities on tourmalines.
- Curious about diamonds and gemstones? Start learning more with this free course.
- Are you in the gemstone or jewellery trade and you want to gain expert insights on topics such as quality factors of tourmalines, how tourmalines are treated and where tourmalines come from? Then this course is for you.
When does the course start and finish?
The course starts now and never ends! It is a completely self-paced online course – you decide when you and when you finish.
How long do I have access to the course?
How does lifetime access sound? After enrolling, you have unlimited access to this course for as long as you like – across any and all devices you own.
What this course is NOT:
- How to buy a tourmaline
- How to sell a tourmaline
- How to certify a tourmaline
- How to value a tourmaline
- Learning to design tourmaline jewellery
- Knowing what tourmalines to invest in
- How to tell if a tourmaline is real
- Learning to identify a synthetic tourmaline using a loupe