Introduction to garnets
Start your journey to becoming a tourmaline expert in this free online course.
Introduction to garnets
- What are Garnets?
- Famous Garnets
- Explore the World’s Most Expensive Garnets
- How Hard is a Garnet?
- How to Cut a Garnet?
Garnets: origins & formation
- Garnets in Different Cultures
- How do Garnets Form in Nature?
- How are Garnets Found?
- Can you Tell how Old a Garnet is?
- When Were Garnets First Discovered?
- In Which Countries are Garnets Found Today?
The science of garnet testing
- How to Tell if it’s a Garnet or Glass
- How to Tell if a Garnet is Treated or Not
- How to Determine the Geographic Origin of a Garnet
- Traceability of Garnets
- What Instruments are Used to Test Garnets?
About the courses
- Self-paced course: access the information you want, when you want it.
- Test your knowledge about garnets with a quiz at the end of this course. Please note these are short introductory courses, they are not trade qualifications nor do they give you the possibility of adding letters/credentials after your name.
About your instructor
SSEF (Swiss Gemmological Institute SSEF) is a non-profit Swiss foundation whose aim it is to further the science of gemstone testing and gemmological training. We are one of the leading gem labs in the world and have scientifically tested many of the world’s most prestigious gemstones.
For more information about garnet testing services — click here to visit our website.
Frequently asked questions
Who is this courses for?
- Access trustworthy information from one of the world’s leading authorities on garnets.
- Curious about diamonds and gemstones? Start learning more with this free course.
- Are you in the gemstone or jewellery trade and you want to gain expert insights on topics such as quality factors of garnets, how garnets are treated and where garnets come from? Then this course is for you.
When does the course start and finish?
The course starts now and never ends! It is a completely self-paced online course – you decide when you and when you finish.
How long do I have access to the course?
How does lifetime access sound? After enrolling, you have unlimited access to this course for as long as you like – across any and all devices you own.
What this course is NOT:
- How to buy a garnet
- How to sell a garnet
- How to certify a garnet
- How to value a garnet
- Learning to design garnet jewellery
- Knowing what garnets to invest in
- How to tell if a garnet is real
- Learning to identify a synthetic garnet using a loupe